Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Matthew 23 is INTENSE!

Matthew 21-23

I am repeatedly amazed by how "cheeky" "blunt" "bold" Jesus truly was.  I am also completely amazed at the current state of Christians and our churches when I read Matthew 23.

"Everything they do is done for men to see.  They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long; they love the place on honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted in the marketplaces and to have men call them 'Rabbi.'  But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers.  And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ.  The greatest among you will be your servant.  For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.  Woe to you teachers of the low and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces.  You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to." Matthew 23:2-13

Am I missing something here?  Or if I were to apply this today, could I say that anyone who is a Pastor, Father, Priest or in any kind of "preaching" or "teaching" position is in danger- woe to them?  Any man with a title, woe to them?  I can easily perceive a preacher of any sort being this way, but perhaps they are saved by their servant hearts?  I should hope so.  They are all in the same position really, but when I see for example a Lutheran or Catholic pastor or priest I wonder how they feel in those robes.

This honestly made me giggle:

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!  You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin.  But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness.  You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.  You blind guides!  You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel." Matthew 23:23-25

Jesus was not a lame duck.  The guy had some serious gonads.  He was quite the radical, which is why I find it so funny yet sad that there are some extremely legalistic individuals out there that are considering themselves Christian.  He said himself that "prostitutes and tax collectors" are going to be the first to enter the kingdom.  Matthew 23:28-32.

It is moments like these where I realize how incredibly important it is to regularly read scripture in order to know God and have a relationship with him.  You can learn so much about him by reading these accounts.  I am so thankful for his word.  And I am thankful he put this reading project on my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment